Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Adult Orphan's Hiding Place

There is no Earthly love greater than that of a parent and a child. Until I had my own children, I never knew the depth of love between parent and their babies.

I am not the only one to walk the path of grief. We all will walk the journey at one point or another. I am one of the lucky ones. I have a wonderful family, a fabulous circle of friends, two amazing children, and an overall awesome support system. I am beyond blessed. I wanted to share some thoughts on my current journey in hopes that it might help someone else walking this path feel not so alone.

Nothing can prepare you for the loss of both your parents in less than 3 months time. I am now an adult orphan. That is the best way that I can describe it. The roles had been reversed for many years. I was the adult. I was the caregiver. I was the manager and decision maker. But in reality, it didn't matter. They were may parents, and they loved me unconditionally. They ALWAYS had my back and provided unconditional love. They always sacrificed for me. They always had my best interest in mind. I could trust them with anything. They were my safe place.

We went to the beach for Fall Break for the first time in several years last week. Mom and Dad always went with us previously. We entered the beach house, and for the first time, Scott and I occupied the main level master bedroom......the place that Mom and Dad always stayed. As I walked into the room, tears began to fill my eyes. That empty feeling of loneliness came over me that has often slapped me in the face over the past few months. As I unpacked my suitcase, I found a rock. The rock. That special rock that Dad and I made at one of his Parkinson's support group meetings. We were both given a rock and asked to draw a symbol on it that gave us peace. Dad was unable to write at this point, so I drew a cross on both of our rocks. I kept one and gave him one. Somehow, the rock with the cross ended up in my suitcase. How? I can't answer. But with tears streaming down my face, I laid the rock beside my bed. It made me feel as if Mom and Dad were with us all week.

Dad taught me enough about grief to know that what I am feeling is normal. I know I have to feel the pain. I would much rather avoid it, but I am trying to just feel it, cry it out, and move past it. Pain hits at the most random times, when you least expect it. It is a roller coaster of emotions - glad they aren't suffering, but missing/grieving small things you never realized were so meaningful and impactful. When dealing with grief, your circle becomes very small. You have the innate desire to surround yourself with your closest of friends whom you trust the most...the ones who will accept you for who you are at this very moment and support the sadness without judgement. Crowds are difficult. It is hard to pretend you are happy, when you aren't. It is exhausting.

You question many things. What if? What if I would have gotten Dad to the hospital a little faster? What if we wouldn't have moved Mom into assisted living? What if? What if? I keep reminding myself that is only Satan messing with me. But the questions still come.

I rationalize things. I am one of the lucky ones. I had parents that stayed together until I was 47 years old! I had the best. I am blessed. Why should I be sad? I just attended a funeral of a friend who lost her father at 22. How selfish of me to be sad with the blessing I have been given!

The truth is....I just miss them. I miss the comfort of having my parents. No matter how old we are, there is that special bond with our parents that can't be put into words. There is void that is unable to be filled - despite my wonderful support system. I want desperately to rush the process. Get it over with. Be done with grief. Just be happy with what I was afforded, which many people don't get to experience.

The other truth is...I just don't want them to be forgotten. They were amazing Christian humans who made the world a better place. They made me who I am. They played a key role in making Scott the husband and father that he is today and impacted my kids in ways that they can't even put into words. I want their legacy to continue to be known by all. They were much too influential to just be buried and forgotten.

For now, life is just flat out scary without them. I am now the one who occupies the downstairs master bedroom on vacation. My identity as a caregiver for them no longer exists. My prayer is that I can continue to walk through the grieving process and provide the same kind of comfort and love for my own kids and family as the Baptist Rabbi and his wife did for me.

For those who know me well, you know that music is one of my loves. I guess it is one of my love languages, as it brings me comfort and speaks to me in very personal ways. This particular song by Selah has been on constant replay mode recently for me as it summarizes my current relationship with grief. Maybe it will speak to someone else that is walking this journey as well...
People have said it gets easier with time. I guess only time will tell. For now, I will find comfort in my hiding place with the only One that can give ultimate peace.

"You are my hiding place.
You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance,
Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in YOU.
I will trust in YOU,
Let the weak say I am strong in the strength of the Lord."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dR0H0tAYT8  (link to song - it is simply beautiful)





3 comments:

  1. This made me cry. After the loss of both of his parents, my dad commented that if it weren’t for his Heavenly Father he would feel like an orphan. Your use of the term orphan reminded me of that. The way that you honor your parents speaks volumes about what special people they were. They must have been amazing parents because they sure raised a fantastic daughter. It gives me comfort knowing that this world still has so much good being passed down from generation to generation, and on to our children. Our children and our world have hope because of this. Prayers for comfort and healing for your broken heart sweet friend. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly. You put into words some of the things that I have been struggling to grasp over the past six weeks since I lost my son. As a special-needs parent for the past 15 1/2 years, I experienced so many roles in life, everything from parent to caregiver to advocate to whatever it took to get him the support he needed. In the blink of an eye all that changed. As my younger son, Wyatt, puts it, “everything is different now.“. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete