Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Balcony People

Growing up, I was always fascinated with balconies. At six years old, I remember being so excited about Dad becoming pastor of First Baptist Church mainly because I saw the balcony. There was something special about being able to sit in the balcony and look down at the pulpit. As a kid, I was always intrigued that the balcony appeared to be suspended in the air, with no support beams. The youth always found themselves magnetized to the back row of the balcony each Sunday. I would like to say that we actively listened and participated in the service, but that was not always the case. And yes, occasionally, I would get an evil eye from my sweet father from the pulpit! I have heard lots and lots of Dad’s sermons, and there are a few that I still vividly recall as if he preached them yesterday. One was the sermon called “The Balcony People.” I guess the title intrigued me since I considered myself to be a “Balcony Kinda Girl”. But my Dad had a very different definition of balcony than me.  In this particular sermon, Dad talked about how God places special people in your life to support you, away from the limelight, in the distance, or from the balcony. These people may not always be directly present in your daily life, but they are always sitting in the balcony, looking out for you and your best interest. Most people have balcony people in their lives. We may not talk to these people on a regular basis, but somewhere in our journey they have helped pave the way for our individual successes. We are all products of our support or lack thereof.

Meet Jack and Sarah. During my Dad’s college years, he became pastor of a small Baptist country church named Mountain View. Jack and Sarah, a young couple in their early thirties, regularly attended his service. Jack and Sarah had no children of their own. Sarah had grown up in a Methodist Children’s Group Home. As most people do, they grew very fond of the young Baptist Rabbi. Sarah was actually one of the first people Dad baptized. They often invited him over for lunch and fed him hot meals after church. As Dad made his way to seminary on limited funds, they sent him money each semester to help make ends meet. They never expected anything in return, other than for Dad to follow God’s will. Throughout Dad’s ministry, Jack and Sarah remained an important part of his life. In fact, a few years ago a tornado came through Greene County, reeking havoc on the area where the now elderly couple lives. Dad did not hesitate to get in his car and drive to their house to check on them to make sure they did not need assistance. Jack and Sarah were not by Dad’s physical side throughout his entire ministry, but they were always present in the balcony, looking out for his best interest and cheering him on. They continue to be such dedicated balcony people. Dad is keenly aware that he may have never finished seminary if it were not for their support from the balcony.

Over the years, Dad has always given credit to his balcony members, for there are an abundance. He has been known to tear up when talking about the special people in Greenville, Johnson City, Jonesboro, Clinton, Etowah, Knoxville, and North Carolina that have supported him in his ministry. The Baptist Rabbi’s balcony is full. Although Dad has been retired for several years, he has continued to serve as a balcony member to other people in a variety of communities. When able, he has continued to do weddings, funerals, visit the sick, etc. Unfortunately, Parkinson’s became a member of our family several years ago. Although his disease has appeared to stabilize at this time, he feels that it is time to put an official end to the public side of his 50+ years in the ministry. But Dad remembers the significance of his balcony. So, for those of you who graciously read my blog, we hope that you will be able to join us on Sunday, May 17, 2015 at First Baptist Church in Clinton, when the Baptist Rabbi will express gratitude for all of his balcony members who have supported his life of ministry. It will certainly be a special day honoring all the people who have shown the Dean family love and support over the years. 

As for me, I am thankful that I have been shaped by the many sermons of my Dad. I am thankful that Sam and Marie Dean sit in my balcony. I’m sure that they both sit in many people’s balcony that have had the fortune of being a recipient of their ministry/friendship. The Baptist Rabbi taught me the importance of expressing gratitude to the members of my balcony. However, he also taught me that it is equally as important to be a “balcony sitter.” For the balcony is an intriguing place to be. Sitting back, taking in the aerial view, can provide a completely different perspective. Supporting and loving people from the balcony offers great gratification. Balcony love suspends, without support beams, for many years. Thanks be to God for providing our personal balconies.



**Side note: Although Dad’s public ministry may be coming to an end, there are still many stories to tell. Lots more blogging to come! 

1 comment:

  1. REALLY GREAT!! and YES, I am proud to say Sam and Marie are part of my balcony...and i just now realized it. Here's an AMEN from the balcony on this one, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete