Saturday, June 20, 2015

Dads and Doors

All around our nation this weekend, sons and daughters are taking time to celebrate their fathers. This weekend will bring a range of emotions from people - maybe happiness, maybe mourning, maybe longing. For our past experiences will certainly shape the activities of this weekend. Whether good or bad, we are products of our parenting. Their guidance during the first portion of our lives consciously and subconsciously shapes our adult life. 

Parents often talk to their children about making good choices and staying on the right path. While my parents certainly wanted me to stay on the right path, they realized their role in making this happen. They were the “door opener” of our family.  Mom and Dad always made it a point for Chris and me to have an abundance of experiences. From trips to extracurricular activities, we were always busy learning the variety of things that life has to offer. Reminiscing with Chris a few weeks ago, he told me of a conversation he had with Dad immediately after he graduated from UT. Dad told him that he was to accept the first job he could find, no matter where it was, and GO. I’m sure that Mom and Dad would have preferred for us all to stay together as a family in the Clinton area, but he opened a door for Chris to go where he could provide for his family. Still to this day, Mom and Dad encourage us both to enter uncomfortable areas to grow as an individual. They have always suppressed their agenda for us and created open doors for us to create our own path.

One of the most powerful beliefs that the Baptist Rabbi holds is the theory of doors. People fall into 2 categories: door openers and door closers. The individual success of people largely depends on others opening doors for them. We all have our own stories of people who have helped us succeed and people who have interfered with that process. Over the past 3 years, my family has grown very close to our pastor, Charla. She has ministered to our family in such a special way. As we learned that she had been given a new church assignment, we were devastated. As we left her last Sunday, my Dad and I both left with tears bubbling in our eyes. Then the powerful words came from Sam Dean, “As much as we love Charla, you are now charged to determine what kind of person you will be. Will you be a door opener or a door closer? Charla has been given new door. Will you help her open that door to continue her ministry? The new pastor coming in has just begun her ministry career. You have the ability to open the door for her, which could open further doors for her down the road. Or you have the ability to shut the door, impacting her ministry for the future. Which person do you want to be? Everyone needs someone to be the door opener. That is what God has called us to do.” 

Individuals are powerful human beings. We have much more control over people’s destiny than we realize. Even the smallest of actions can open large doors for individuals. This Father’s Day, I am thankful that my parents taught me the power of doors. I am thankful that they have always been a step ahead of me opening doors for me to grow as an individual. I am thankful that in times of me being selfish, they remind me that life is not all about me. God calls each of us to step away from our self-absorbtion and purposefully create open doors for others. God is on the other side of that door waiting to do great things for others if we will only accept the call to open the door for them.

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for teaching me (and continually reminding me) to be a door opener for others. Happy Father’s Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment